Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 30 min • Yield: 4 servings
- 4 green bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap the green peppers in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes; remove and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and cook the bison over medium heat until it’s evenly brown. Remove to a separate bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and cook the onions, zucchini, and red and yellow bell peppers until tender. Add the spinach in the last 2 minutes to wilt.
- Return the bison to the skillet. Mix in the tomatoes and the tomato paste and season with the Italian Seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff the green peppers with the bison mixture. Return the peppers to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- These peppers are the perfect go-to lunch, so make plenty! They’re easy to carry, easy to heat up, and perfectly balanced.
- Vary It! If you’re unable to get ground bison, these peppers are just as delicious with ground beef.