Prep time: 30 min • Cook time: 5 hours • Yield: 2 servings
- 8 ounces very lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon medium chili powder
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Pinch red pepper flakes or more
- Pinch dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup ¼-inch diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring often to break up lumps.
- Place the beef in a slow cooker with all the ingredients EXCEPT for the zucchini. Cover, and cook for 4-hours on the low setting. Add the zucchini, stir well, and cook for 1 more hour.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste and serve hot, garnished with scallions.
- The beef must be very lean for this to be calorie friendly. You can also substitute chicken or turkey for the beef.