- 1 ½lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1lb baby portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1, 15oz can low sodium crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (light or full fat)
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning, divided
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 leaves basil, chopped
- raw parmesan or manchego, grated, for garnish
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. While this is heating up, season one side of the chicken with ½ tbsp Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken, seasoned side down, to the skillet and cook approx. 4-5 minutes. While the first side is cooking, season the other side with ½ tbsp Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Flip the chicken and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate – set aside.
- Add the bell pepper and mushrooms with a pinch of salt and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring constantly so it does not burn. Sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, broth, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste. Let simmer until thickened – approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and cover with sauce. Cook until heated through – approx. 3 minutes.
- Serve over spiralized zucchini “noodles” and garnish with basil and raw parmesan or manchego.