- 2lbs bone in, skin off chicken breasts
- 8 cups filtered water
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 thumb fresh ginger or 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 thumb fresh turmeric or 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 6oz parmesan rinds
- 3 sticks celery, thinly sliced + celery tops, whole
- 1, 10oz bag shredded carrots
- 7-8 shitake mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- fresh chives, for garnish
- 1 avocado, for garnish
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Add the chicken, ginger, turmeric, garlic, celery tops, cheese rinds and good pinch of sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through – a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees – start checking at 20 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken, celery tops, ginger and turmeric (if using fresh) – set aside on a paper-towel-lined plate. ***While the chicken is cooking, you can prep the vegetables.
- In the same stockpot, add the broth, carrots, celery and mushrooms and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes.
- While the broth and vegetables are cooking, shred the chicken.
- Once the vegetables and broth have simmered for 10 minutes, add the chicken and cauliflower rice to the pot with another good pinch of sea salt and black pepper, to taste and cayenne pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings, to taste.
- Remove the parmesan rinds with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Serve, topped with cilantro, chives and avocado, if desired.