- 3-4lb grass fed chuck or rump roast
- 1 tbsp ghee butter
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup red wine, divided
- 1qt beef broth or beef bone broth, low sodium
- 10-12 large baby portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 large shallots, cut into 1/3’s
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Heat the ghee butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the roast generally on one side with salt and pepper. Add the roast to the skillet, seasoned side down, and brown on both sides – about 4 minutes each side. While the first side is searing, season the other side.
- Once browned on both sides, place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Turn the heat off and add ½ cup of the red wine to the skillet (it’ll sizzle a lot so be careful!), and use a spatula to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom (that’s where the flavor is!). Add the red wine mixture to the slow cooker.
- Pour the mushrooms and shallot around the roast and top with thyme.
- Pour the broth over all and add the rest of the wine until the mixture is mostly covered.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- When finished cooking, gently break the roast apart into desired pieces with two forks pulling in opposite directions. It should easily pull apart.
- Serve with mushrooms and broth over the top.