Prep time: 30 min • Cook time: 20 to 25 min • Yield: 16 hors d’oeuvre
- ½ pound ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo, only use the sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
- 8 medium to large jalapeno peppers halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 slices lean bacon, sugar, nitrate- and nitrite-free, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350º F and place rack in the center of the oven. Cut the bacon slices in half and bake for 7 to 10 minutes. They should not be fully cooked, but the fat should be more translucent. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 400º F.
- Mix ground sirloin, coconut oil, onions, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, lime juice, and cilantro in a medium bowl.
- Fill each jalapeno “boat” with meat filling. Wrap in a half strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until the bacon is browned and sizzling. Serve immediately.
- When working with the jalapenos you may want to wear gloves. Be careful not to touch your face or eyes. Much of the heat of the pepper is in the seeds. You can also substitute miniature multi-colored peppers if you want an hors d’oeuvre with less heat.